Prayer focus for October: those affected by disasters
As a result of disasters in recent weeks many have lost homes, loved ones, jobs, and personal property. In many cases there has been a disruption in the basic needs of people, medical care, businesses, family life, schools, and utilities and services. First responders and those providing relief are stretched, working long hours, dealing with their own losses and the loss of those they are trying to help.
Pray: (just some brief guiding thoughts of how to pray; and be sure to seek The Holy Spirit’s help in your praying)
• Give strength and endurance for the relief workers
• Provide healing, help and hope for those who have suffered loss
• Lead clergy and counsellors in knowing how to handle all the overwhelming hurts they will have to deal with (wisdom)
• Keep us from apathy when we hear of yet another disaster
• Show us what our response needs to be
• Thank the Lord that in times of pain and suffering God gives grace and strength to persevere
Hurricane season is not over. Earthquakes are unpredictable. Storms and fires can break out at any time. So, in other words, pray without ceasing!
- Nancy Landerholm
Psalm 121:1. “I lift up my eyes to the hills—where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.”